Part Two of our look at what’s new and different in Las Vegas this year continues: (That’s why the list starts with #8 just in case you thought we couldn’t count.)
8. The newest slot game to hit the casino floor is the “community game” based on American Idol and you can play it at any of the MGM Resorts properties. MGM has a 30-day exclusive on this new IGT game and going by what we saw of it at the gaming expo in November it is going to be a blast to play. Look for it at Mandalay Bay, MGM Grand, NYNY, Luxor, Mirage, Bellagio and ARIA. (We snagged a photo of it from the gaming expo’s trade show floor.) Just think, this may be your last chance to see Simon snark his way through the competition – other than in reruns.
9. We dig the new Munch Bar at Caesars Palace. It’s located within ear-splitting distance of the Pussycat Dolls blackjack tables but the food is fast, fun and a good nosh when we feel like eating lunch at 3 p.m. or 3 a.m. Try the Philly Cheesesteak sliders, the sweet potato fries with a wicked garlic dip, the grilled cheese bites with tomato dipping sauce or one of the monstrous burgers.
10. PBR Rock Bar – the cowboy-themed BBQ spot that opened at Planet Hollywood is another good spot for lunch or dinner. Two people can easily share the plate-sized pulled pork sammich with the mini-vat of creamy potato salad. The place heats up at night when the mechanical bull starts bucking drunks patrons onto the floor. And you definitely don’t want to miss this: Friday, January 7, 10 p.m. — “Party with some of adult entertainment’s finest and get a chance to compete in the mechanical bull riding competition. The most impressive bull rider will win a $500 cash prize. Revelers can get down and dirty with 2-for $8 beers and two-for-one Hoedown-Throwdowns, PBR Rock Bar’s specialty cocktail.” Honest, they’re calling it the Hoe-Down Pornstar Bull Riding Contest. (Kinda’ makes that American Idol slot game look a little less exciting, huh?)
11. Check out the Strip’s first high-end Greek restaurant — ESTIATORIO MILOS — at the new Cosmopolitan. An NYC/Montreal import, the restaurant features fresh fish and other menu items done up in creative Mediterranean style. We can’t wait to try the fried zucchini and eggplant appetizer. (We heart zucchini done this way.)
12. While Las Vegas is expecting some chilly weather this weekend, it will be downright freezing if you stop by the Monte Carlo and the newest Minus5 Ice Lounge. Enjoy Vodka cocktails in this lounge made entirely of Canadian ice. (Why Canadian ice? Imported is always better. We think….)
Here’s that guarantee we talked about: Not having an enormously exciting time in Vegas? We’ll be at PBR at Planet Hollywood, sitting at the bar enjoying a giant guitar-sized frozen fruity-thing, at 11 p.m. Saturday night and will ride the bull if our promise to provide you with fun things to do in Vegas has not been met. No, really, just look for us.