New year, new CES, new stuff to do in Vegas
Headed to Las Vegas this week for CES 2011? Here are some new places to see/things to do/food to eat guaranteed – yes, this post comes with a guarantee – to make your CES visit enormously exciting. (Okay, so we know the electronics are the raison d’etre for this trip but trust us, Hubert Keller’s “Top Chef Masters” competition-winning “In The Shower” Mac & Cheese made with lobster and brunoise vegetables is what you’ll still be talking about come summer.)
1. Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas – You’ve seen the ads now see the real thing (sans kittens, goats, Westies and hopefully, pants-free bellboys.) Drinks at inside The Chandelier bar is a must as is dinner at Jaleo which will no doubt be the toughest table to lay your hands and fork on this weekend.
2. Hash House A Go Go has opened on the Strip. At Imperial Palace to be exact. Lots of great diner food including the famed – for good reason – Farm Benedicts. Open Friday and Saturday until 2 AM, it’s the perfect spot to head for when you need something to soak up that bottle of Grey Goose that kept calling your name at the club.
3. While it may be too cold for swimming, check out the new pool digs at Encore and the renovated space at Caesars Palace. Summer – in Vegas, anyways – is just around the corner.
4. New games to try: Lord of the Rings at Caesars Palace; Sex and the City at ARIA and Planet Hollywood; Triple Spin Poker at ARIA or Ultimate X video poker at the Bellagio.
5. If you didn’t make it over to ARIA last year or if you did but missed dining there, be sure to check out Julian Serrano for tapas (the warm spinach salad and the country bread with tomatoes are both wonderful as is the white sangria.) Sage Restaurant is awesome as well. The boy knows what to do with scallops, foie gras and lamb.
6. Sip some outstanding grape while noshing on small plates at the new La Cave Wine and Food Hideaway located inside Wynn Las Vegas. We’ve heard good things about the space and will also be checking it out for the first time this week. (We’re the two chicks – dressed in East Coast black — huddled over the baked clams with pepperoncini and Parmesan.)
7. That mac and cheese we were talking about? Find it here at Fleur by Hubert Keller, now open at Mandalay Bay and serving, as the press release calls them, “inventive small plates, sweet endings and dramatic cocktails.” (Hey, put enough liquor in and we find any cocktail to be “dramatic.”) We are ginormous fans of Chef Keller and of liquid nitrogen so we’ll be there as well this weekend. (We’re the two dramatic chicks at the bar no doubt dressed in black.)
- More new stuff to do in Vegas for CES 2011
- From A(ria) to (Jay) Z — Vegas will usher in the New Year in $tyle
- New Year’s Eve in Las Vegas — Lots of Last-Minute Room Deals Still Available