Truly, Madly, Cheaply — A Valentine’s Day Celebration for Less
In honor of Valentine’s Day, we were going to run a list of our favorite romantic (read expensive) restaurants in Las Vegas. However, with all the talk about how Las Vegas has become such a great “frugal” destination for travelers (it is!) plus considering the state of the economy — not to mention our wallets — we’ve decided that in lieu of that list, we’ve come up with this list: Seven inexpensive yet fun and romantic things you and your sweetie can do this coming weekend. (Lots of these ideas can be used in places other than Las Vegas so take a look even if you won’t be traveling for V-Day.)
1. One of our favorite stores is Bijoux Terner, otherwise known as the “$10 boutique.” Everything (and we really mean everything) from purses to watches to bold and brassy necklaces and earrings is just $10. Why not treat your sweetie to a week’s worth of colorful watches or five new handbags in spring’s brightest shades. No, not “designer” pieces but who wants to spend a ton on a bright orange watch or a psychedelic pink purse anyways?
2. Try a “celebrity chef” for less. Case in point; Tom Colicchio, famous head judge on Bravo TV’s smash-hit “Top Chef” is the brains (and toque) behind ‘wichcraft at MGM Grand. His fabulous meatloaf sandwich is just $10 and almost as good as the beefy entrees at his high-priced Craftsteak restaurant just down the corridor. Oh, and make sure you save room for the decadent “Whoopie Pie” — chocolate cake layers filled with vanilla pudding.
3. Sugar & Ice café at Wynn Las Vegas is an all-time favorite sweet stop for us. Splurge on double scoops of rich, velvety ice cream — the lemon tart just sings with flavor — while relaxing on the gorgeous patio that looks out onto the “Lake of Dreams” and the lush surroundings of the Wynn grounds.
4. Plan a dessert tour. Chocoholics will love a stop at either Jean-Philippe Patisserie at Bellagio or Payard Patisserie & Bistro at Caesars Palace (or maybe both!) and then on to Cocolini in St. Mark’s Square at The Venetian for bowls of authentic gelato. End the evening with chocolate martinis at Table 10 at The Palazzo.
5. Treat each other to body lotions at Kiehl’s at The Forum Shoppes. There’s a yummy Forest Rain lotion for guys plus a warm vanilla-scented cream for her. Take your purchases back to your hotel room and have fun. (You can plan ahead and make sure your MP3 player has a special “romantic songs” playlist just for the occasion!)
6. Stroll the Bellagio Conservatory and Botanical Gardens together. Ask a kind stranger to take your picture — kissing — while surrounded by this floral wonderland. After your walk, head for the hotel gift shop and pick up one of the sparkly “Bellagio” keychains ($10) as a reminder of your trip.
7. Sip a cocktail, or better yet, a glass of champagne in the plush, dimly-lit Napoleon’s at Paris Las Vegas. The piano bar comes alive later in the evening, but until then, this bar features smooth jazz, no cover charge and a very romantic atmosphere.
- A Very Vegas Valentine’s Day Weekend
- Venetian, Palazzo in Las Vegas Offer Sweet Suite Deals in February
- Top 15 Cool Things To Do On A Hot Vegas Day